Musicals101.com's Favorite Links
Compiled by John Kenrick
Sardi's Restaurant, where theatre pros have "linked up" for decades. Much as we love social media, nothing beats chatting face to face -- especially beneath the sketched faces of the famous that line the walls at Sardi's.
There are more musical theatre and film sites coming online every day. This is far from an exhaustive list, but a few dozen favorites that we have enjoyed. Like people in the Land of Oz, websites can come and go rather quickly, so don't be surprised if a link leads to nowhere. The existence of all sites on this list was last verified on June 2014.
Theatre & Film Sites
- Aisle Say - A constantly updated cyber magazine of reviews and essays on current stage productions in New York and across the country a great place to stay informed.
- Al Jolson Society - A loving tribute to a theatrical legend, with photos, facts, sound and film clips of the incomparable "Jolie." A must-see for Jolson fans.
- Burlesque Historical Society - Both a tribute to burlesque history and an ongoing attempt to relocate surviving performers. A promising new site!
- Leonard Bernstein.com - The official resource on Bernstein's career, including his musicals. Loads of info, photos and more.
- Broadway.com - A great shopping site, offering all sorts of options.
- Broadway's Best - Australian theatre lovers can find theatre related CDs, DVDs and sheet music here. Special requests are welcomed.
- BroadwayStars.com - Along with star bios and other tidbits, a daily update of links to Broadway coverage on the web.
- Class Act - A cyber listing of musical films, their stars, and creators. Another well-organized and carefully researched resource by the author of The Judy Garland Database this kind of site is what the web is all about.
- Curtain Up! - A theatre webzine, with tons of articles, reviews and more. Frequently updated and always a good read.
- Dress Circle - A London theatre-lovers shop with West End and Broadway CD's, LP's, videos, books, scripts. A theater buff could blow the bank here and have fun doing it.
- Ruth Etting Great photos, informative text and a handsome layout make this one of the best tribute site on the web.
- Footlight Records - Specialized source for cast or soundtrack CD's ' they also stock vintage records and out of print rarities. If you can't find it anywhere else, try here.
- Fred Astaire - A fitting tribute to the performer who epitomized style and elegance in the 20th Century. Photos, biographical info and much more an Astaire treasure trove.
- Gilbert & Sullivan Archive - The home for all things G&S on the web the complete libretto for each opera, extensive midi files, excellent articles and every Savoyard link you could hope for. A magnificent site for scholars and fans alike.
- George & Ira Gershwin Educational Fanpage - I still think Ira deserves far more credit than he gets, so its grand that this web tribute gives both Gershwin brothers their due. One of the most thorough Gershwin sites.
- Internet Broadway Database - Type in a name or title, and get pages of link-rich info on the actor, author or stage musical of your choice. The most thorough source for statistics on Broadway productions from the 1800's to the present, compiled by the League of American Theatres and Producers. A blessing to researchers.
- The Internet Theatre Bookshop - A great source for hard to find scripts and scores.
- Internet Theatre Database Comparable to the Internet Broadway Database. Type in a name or title, and get info on the actor, author or stage play of your choice.
- Jewish Theatre - All sorts of resources covering the past, present and future of Jewish writers & performers on US stages.
- Al Jolson Society - The internet home of a great organization that keeps the memory of this great entertainer alive.
- Judy Garland Database - This exhaustive catalog of Garland's career is a fantastic site for fans and students, with excellent links to related sites and tons of photos.
- London Theatre Tickets (1st 4) - Information and ticket bookings for London's West End theatre district.
- Jeanette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy Home Page - A handsome tribute to MGM's operetta legends.
- Musical Cast Album Database - A massive database with info on most every cast recording in existence. A sensational resource!
- Musicals.Net - Information on dozens of the most popular stage musicals, with fun bulletin boards.
- Musicaltalk - offers British musical theatre podcasts, a real find for Yanks in search of West End news.
- NYC Library for the Performing Arts - The Lincoln Center Branch of the NY Public Library has a massive collection of playbills, photos and other paper items, available to researchers free of charge. There are extensive online search options at their website.
- Obscure Stages - An annotated bibliography of Commedia dell'Arte, Music Hall, and Pantomime. Some great suggestions on books relating to music halls, vaudeville and burlesque.
- Playbill.com - The top source for up to the minute news on the theatre world, plus excellent articles and a bouncy chat room. Don't miss their links to theatre-buff sites of all kinds.
- Porter.org - A treat for Cole Porter fans.
- Public Domain Music - Looking for songs you can use rights free? Here is an easy to use list of several thousand titles and related resources.
- Scarlet Street - While this site is not really about musicals, it is certainly musical friendly! It's the web home for one of the most entertaining & original magazines I know. Scarlet Street combines an interest in Sherlock Holmes, horror films and golden age Hollywood. If you like any or all of those topics, give this site (and this delightful publication) the once over.
- Scenes Database - A free database of operatic and musical theater scene and ensemble repertoire.
- The Stephen Sondheim Society - Coverage of Stephen Sondheim and all productions of his many shows; a must for serious fans.
- StageAgent.com - A resource for performers and producers, with extensive info on shows, role requirements and rights availability.
- Stephen Schwartz Website - Updates on what's happening with the composer of Pippin, Hunchback of Notre Dame and many other musicals. You can also subscribe to his newsletter.
- Theatre Central - Playbill's sensational link center. The best place on the web to find hundreds of prime theatre-related site . . . including tons of fan sites for shows and musical theatre stars.
- Theatermania - An great online source to find shows, get tickets and save money to theater in New York and in 40 other markets. Interesting reading for all theatre enthusiasts.
- Vintage Vaudeville and Ragtime Show - Sound clips and photos recreate an online version of a traditional vaudeville bill. One of the most entertaining vaudeville sights on the web.
- Kurt Weill Foundation - Includes extensive info on this great composer and his wife Lottel Lenya, plus updates on the outstanding foundation that bears his name.
- Wendy's Wonderful Wizard of Oz - The ultimate web tribute to MGM's most beloved musical, with tons of information and sumptuous photos. If you love this movie (and who doesn't?), you'll have a blast at this site!
- Woodley Light Operatic Society - A delightful website for a British theatre company that stages productions of G&S and other classic musicals. Every town should have a troupe like this!
Rights to Broadway/Off-Broadway Musicals
- Dramatic Publishing - Great shows, confusing website.
- Dramatists.com - Great shows.
- Music Theatre International (MTI) - One of the top companies handling the rights for musicals a very informative database covering its extensive catalog.
- Samuel French Inc. - Great shows, lousy site -- surprising, when you consider how many shows they are responsible for.
- Tams-Witmark Many classic musicals some useful features.
- Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization - The source for all works by Rodgers, Hammerstein, Larry Hart, Irving Berlin, Andrew Lloyd Webber and more. A handsome, informative and easy to use site.